If you are starting to experience certain types of symptoms - these may indicate a condition or eye disease that is either starting or well advanced. In some cases, symptoms do not appear until the disease has already progressed and vision damage has occurred. Delayed symptoms are why we urge you to schedule regular eye care check ups - so we can catch emerging eye disease or conditions early and treat them before blindness or vision loss sets in. If you are in Newport Beach, Corona del Mar - CdM, or Huntington Beach - it won't take long to get to our clinic. We're located right on Superior, just off Pacific Coast Hwy - near Hoag Hospital.
Let's take a look at a few of the most common eye symptoms and their possible causes.
- Pain or throbbing in or behind the eye covers a broad range of vision related illnesses. The most common causes of pain in the eye include eye infection or inflammation - like Conjunctivitis. Also, you may be experiencing Keratitis - an inflammation of the cornea. Glaucoma is also a source of pain since it is usually accompanied by severe increases in eye pressure - also known as intraocular pressure (IOP). Pain can also come from dry eyes or burning eyes - caused by allergies or by deteriorating function of your tear glands.
- Eye Discharge or Watery Eyes
- Our eyes generate tears as a natural cleaning and lubricating mechanism continuously. Sometimes, certain conditions like Pinkeye ( pink eye ), Conjunctivitis, Blepharitis - inflammation of the eyelids, or in some cases a condition known as Ectropion, or "inverted eyelids". Eye mucous may also indicate an infection or possibly a foreign body in the eye that has become embedded and therefore undetectable by you.
- Swollen Eyes
- If not caused by allergies of some sort, swelling in and around the eyes may be a Corneal flash burn or could indicate a possible Thyroid condition. If you spend time as a welder, photographer, or under sun lamps - you might have burned your Cornea and been unaware of it until significant swelling results.
- Sudden Blurry Vision
- If accompanied by very noticeable specks or threads in your field of view… or possibly lights, stars, or streaks, it is possible that you have experienced a Retinal Tear or detached Retina. This is a serious injury that should not be ignored. Make an immediate appointment to determine the cause.
- Gradual Blurry Vision, Distorted Vision, and Blindness
- These symptoms may indicate an eye condition known as Diabetic Retinopathy. As you might guess, this eye condition occurs among Diabetics when weakened blood vessels in the eye leak fluid into the Retina. If you have high blood pressure, are a smoker, or are pregnant - you could also experience these symptoms. They usually come and go over time and may eventually lead to permanent clouded vision or even blindness. If you have noticed any of these symptoms - don't procrastinate. Treated early enough, it is possible that the most severe conditions can be alleviated or even eliminated altogether.