To help you understand more about your eyes and what information sources exist for vision health, we've compiled a list of resources below. Whether you want to understand the difference between an ophthalmologist, optometrist, and optician - or you're looking for information on how to evaluate a Lasik surgeon, how to locate a corrective vision specialist, or refractive surgeonů use these pages as a starting point for improved vision and improved understanding about vision. In your travels - if you come across other eye related websites that you feel belong on this page, be sure to let us know.
- Eyesight.org receives top ranking by all major search engines as the leading resource for information concerning Macular Degeneration to a growing population of individuals affected by the disease and related low vision conditions.
- While this is a heavily commercialized site with news about everything from A to Z - we thought the explanations of how your eye works was done particularly well. There are about a dozen web pages that provide detailed information, with illustrations, into the working of the eye and the conditions that can affect vision.
- EyeOnContacts.com provides interested readers with information and resources about all aspects of vision, from contact lenses to eye illnesses to eye exams. Vision health is one of the most important aspects of overall health and well being. This site has sponsors such as Bausch & Lomb, Boston, CIBA Vision, Coopervision, Johnson & Johnson, OSI/American Hydron and Wesley Jessen. Much of the content is devoted to contact lens, including contact lens accessories, special effects lens, colored contacts, contact solutions, contact vision healthcare, toric lenses, and even glasses.
- California Optometric Association
- This site targets both vision care professionals and consumers / patients want to expand their knowledge of what is going on in vision research and market availability.
- California Council of the Blind
- In operation since 1934, the mission of the California Council of the Blind (CCB) is to gain full independence and equality of opportunity for all blind and visually impaired Californians.
- The Macular Degeneration Community
- This site offers free information and personal assistance for people dealing with macular degeneration and similar retinal diseases.
- PRK & Lasik Today
- This site provides independent and unbiased information on excimer laser eye surgery, photorefractive keratectomy ( PRK ) and other refractive eye surgery such as RK, ALK, and Lasik.
- National Institute of Health
- Federal Government website representing the facts on a variety of health and wellness issues. This link will take you to a category page where you can locate "Eyes and Vision" and browse for further information on eye care, eye health and eye conditions and diseases.
- Eye Surgery Education Council
- This site provides information for patients and interested members of the public on a variety of common vision problems and therapies. The material on the site has been reviewed for accuracy and balance by panels of leading eye surgeons who comprise the Eye Surgery Education Council (ESEC). This site has sections on laser vision correction (LASIK and similar procedures), cataracts, and glaucoma.